“Against Man United” – Super Eagles star reveals 3 best goals of his career

Super Eagles and Trabzonspor striker Paul Onuachu has revealed the three goals that stand out most in his career, Soccernet.ng reports .

The Nigeria international has 218 career goals in 472 games for club and country across spells in Denmark, Belgium, England and Turkey.

Still, Onuachu names his famous strike against Manchester United, his first Super Eagles goal and his stunning backheel finish against Konyaspor as the most special of them all.

The Trabzonspor striker made the revelation in an interview published by the club's Magazine per Turkish outlet Günebakış, explaining why each goal carries a special memory.

Super Eagles forward Paul Onuachu. Copyright: IMAGO

Man United goal still special

Onuachu picked his winner against Manchester United in the 2015/16 UEFA Europa League as one of the goals he cannot forget.

“As a striker, I'm naturally expected to contribute to goals, and I do my best to achieve that. Scoring and assisting goals makes me happy. I've scored many goals to date, but there are two I can't forget. The first is the goal I scored against Manchester United. I was playing for Midtylland in Denmark. It was a crucial goal against Man United in a UEFA Europa League match; I scored it under a lot of pressure.”

The Nigerian was 21 when he came off the bench and scored in the 77th minute to give Midtjylland a famous 2-1 victory over Louis van Gaal's Manchester United in Herning on 18 February 2016. His long-range strike settled the first leg after Pione Sisto had cancelled out Memphis Depay's opener.

Onuachu had earlier been denied by Sergio Romero before finally beating the Argentine goalkeeper with a powerful finish, turning an important European night into one of the defining moments of his early career.

Super Eagles stars Fisayo Dele-Bashiru and Paul Onuachu
Super Eagles stars Fisayo Dele-Bashiru and Paul Onuachu. Copyright: xAndrzejxIwanczukxIMAGO

Onuachu's first Super Eagles goal

His second choice came from his Nigeria debut, when he scored only seconds into the Super Eagles' 1-0 friendly win over Egypt in Asaba on 26 March 2019.

“The other is my first goal for the Nigerian national team. Wearing the national team jersey and scoring a goal for my country in that jersey was a wonderful feeling. I was really impressed by the goal I scored in my first call-up.”

Onuachu's strike came inside 10 seconds after John Ogu's forward pass, making it Nigeria's fastest senior international goal and helping the Super Eagles beat seven-time African champions Egypt.

The third goal was produced in the colours of Trabzonspor as Onuachu added his spectacular backheel against Konyaspor to his personal collection.

“Now, the goal I scored against Konyaspor has been added to that list.”

Onuachu described the finish as a product of quick thinking and technique, saying he made the decision within a second as the ball arrived and knew his backheel would go into the net.

The goal came in a 2-1 Trabzonspor win over Konyaspor.

Post a Comment

0 Comments